Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jay-Z Brooklyn Born,New Jersey Raised...

Well, he wasn't raised in Jersey but his hustler mentality was. East Trenton to be exact. Check out this excerpt below from Hiphopdx's interview with Dehaven, Jay-Z's old friend.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

HipHopDX: I want to rewind it to the very beginning. Who was De-Haven in 1988? Because obviously, that's the timeline that we've gotten on the rap side of things.
De-Haven: De-Haven was a young hustler that was making major moves out on the streets doing my own thing; holding down family and friends wherever I found myself. De-Haven was about money. If it didn't make money, it didn't make sense. De-Haven was chasing money across state lines in '88, going for that double or nothing type money. It wasn't a game. I had moved out of state, [to] Trenton, New Jersey, and it was poppin' like hot butter on popcorn. A couple months later, I came back for [Jay-Z], I let him know that it was all good, and he came out. My aunt was good people, and before you knew it, Jay never went back home. [At this point,] I had my homeboy with me, you couldn't tell me nothing. Money was coming, chicks everywhere, and the road ahead was alright. Check out the rest of the interview here

No comments: