Saturday, May 2, 2009

NEW JERSEY DRIVE INTERVIEW W/ AVERY STORM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
DJ KLAPTON:What Up Avery? Respect. We see you on your grind here at NewJerseyDrive. Let the people know a lil bit about yourself,background and where you are from.

AVERY STORM:Thank you family I appreciate that.. Only right being that I'm from Jersey to do this interview. Born in Jersey, tho not exactly sure where, moved to Brick Township I think as a baby then to Bergen County till I moved to NYC out of high school. I've been singing and writing songs as long as I can remember. As a child and still today music has been my escape.

Klap:Your most recent work was the hook on "Rich Off Cocaine". Which is 1 of my favorite records off the album along with "Valley Of Death". Congrats on another #1 album. What's it like working with Rick Ross "The Boss"?

AS:Rite on that's what's up! Yes that's my dude right there. We just have good chemistry musically and it comes through in the music. The fact that he's an incredible beat selector doesn't hurt either. He sends me the track I come up with the hook and send it back to him the rest is history
I also got a joint on The Last Kiss album too called "I Tried" check it out!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Klap:What do you think of all the stuff that's going on with Rick Ross, as far as all the stuff with 50,Em,etc?

AS:To be honest, totally honest, I'm not really keeping up with it. I couldn't tell you who said what last.

Klap:I recently saw the video of you creating the hook for "Here I Am" off "Trilla". It looked like you went in, freestyle'd it, then shaped and formed it as you went along. Is that pretty much the process when you are writing or is it different every time?

AS:That's exactly my process every time. Only thing different is, I never know the track until I hear something at the studio. Once it catches my ear for about 10-15 seconds I know that's it. I tell the engineer stop it! load it in protools and I go in the booth and let it fly.

Klap:Your definitley a talented writer. In your bio it says you play instruments also. What instruments do you play? And are you into production?

AS:Thank you, I do. I play drums first and foremost, a little guitar and keys.. Basically enough to create a song. Yes I produce as well, I love live instrumentation and the endless possibilities.

Klap:You are signed to Derrty Ent./Universal Records. If you can, let us know how that came about.

AS:Yes, this has been a journey of all journeys to say the least. The short version is, after terminating my contract with Interscope, I hit the streets of Manhattan handing out promo discs. Within two weeks these discs were in the offices of the labels. One disc I handed to a mutual friend of Nelly's in Harlem. He gave it to him and it started from there.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Klap:When can we here some solo stuff?

AS:I'm looking to release my first single in May. Based on the response I get from my mixtape and feature songs I CAN'T wait for the people to really hear me and just me.

Klap:Now this being a Jersey site, let us know what you think of the Jersey music scene and what it was like trying to come up in Jersey?

AS:Well to be honest we've got a lot of super talented people that have come from and coming from now. Its beautiful because there are so many places and perspectives coming out of Jersey and some true monsters that don't necessarily get the credit they deserve.
Comin up I spent all the time I could in manhattan, open mics, talent shows, it didn't matter.. I did do some things in Jersey like cash Karaoke!! That was a side hustle at times, go wop out these places $100 a night to sing a song and win. Sometimes two a night! Haha

Klap:Haha Yo Avery gd looks for doing this interview. Anybody or anything you want to shout out?

AS:Yes definitely all you guys at Newjerseydrive for takin the time and showin love! Derrty Ent, Universal, Doooit, The Chamber Group, my management Pologrounds Music. All my people who have supported and continue to support what I'm doin I appreciate you! SHOTGUN LOVE THE ALBUM SEPT 09
MYSPACE.COM/AVERYSTORM
YOUTUBE.COM/AVERYTV
TWITTER.COM/AVERYSTORM
I'm on all of these personally so hit me up!!
I will be streaming live from studio and beyond on AVERYTVLIVE check for updates!

No comments: